Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'll have my cake and drink it too

 www.realsimple.com
  

     I had a great birthday, and received the best gifts -  My family is healthy.  I'm in love with my husband.  My kids are kind, maturing into awesome adults, and usually fun to be around.  I enjoy my work.  I live with the sweetest dogs.  And, I get to share my birthday celebrations with an incredible woman, Amy June!



     As Jim's mother, she was an automatic bonus as soon as we said our "I do's".  Amy's quick smile draws you in, she has the most beautiful animated eyes, and an incredibly infectious laugh.  Reminds me of a young Shirley MacLaine.  She is the first to offer help, the one that you know you can confide in, and, more importantly,  she welcomed me with genuine warmth and her Canadian hospitality.   I just adore her!

     Amy's favorite dessert is "anything chocolate", my kind of gal.  As a fellow Gemini, I could relate, and knew the perfect cake...



     Chocolate and stout - an amazing combination!  Please forgive my mint forest that adorned the top of the cake.  I had one too many glasses of wine (it was our birthday party, after all).  In my drunken stupor, I thought it looked like something the Cake Boss would design.  Yeah, I know...

     Thank you to our hostess with the mostest,  Leslie, for a delicious dinner.  Happy birthday, Amy June!


Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake


Serves 12Hands-On Time: 20m Total Time: 2hr 40m

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more, at room temperature, for the pan
  • unsweetened cocoa powder, for the pan
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup stout beer (such as Guinness)
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350° F. Butter a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with the cocoa powder, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter and stout. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Remove from heat, add 8 ounces of the chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugars on medium-high until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate mixture and sour cream. Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture until just combined (do not overmix).
  4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
  5. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream just to a boil. Remove from heat, add the remaining 4 ounces of chocolate, and let sit 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Set the cooling rack with the cake over a baking sheet. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and let set before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment