Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sea beet, anyone?


  
                                             Well, actually a descendant of the sea beet, and one of Mother Nature's super foods - Swiss chard!  Alright, alright, stop squinting your nose and just stay with me.  I had only tasted Swiss chard twice before, both times prepared in restaurants, many years ago.  Recently, I was sent this recipe from good family friends,  Jim and Marty.  They have a beautiful home on Togus Pond in Augusta, Maine, and are incredibly talented in the kitchen.  Not to mention, two of the nicest guys whose home we can crash this summer. : )

Jim and Marty's view of Togus Pond 

     I am just going to come right out and say it, "THIS IS AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!"  The cooking technique removes any bitterness the Swiss chard may have, and the combination of flavors hits the palate in a magnificent way!  No, I have not lost my mind or my love of chocolate.  Nor have I gone over the edge or to the dark side of 'crazed healthy-only eating'.   You are going to have to trust me on this one, and try it for yourself.  If you are not as thrilled as I was with the results, Jim will refund you your money.

Thanks for the recipe Jim - can't wait to see you and Marty this summer!



Jim Frank's Phenomenal Swiss Chard

Take twenty-twenty five Swiss Chard (including the stems), trim the ends of the stalks and wash/pat dry

Heat a quarter cup of olive oil in a large pan (with lid), add two cloves of garlic (pressed), and one stick of butter. 

Cook the Swiss Chard until the texture has wilted, add a cup of crumbled panchetta and cover for five minutes on simmer. 

Plate the Swiss Chard and sprinkle with almond slivers and squirt a thin line of honey across the plate. Enjoy! 

Just think of how much fun it will be when your kid's or mate asks you, "what's for dinner?" and you can answer, "sea beets, and your gonna like it".  Eat heart healthy happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment