Friday, May 6, 2011

"M" is for the million things she gave me

Principessa
Mother's Day

      I myself, think the holiday should be celebrated on a monthly basis.  I was lucky enough to grow up in a house with a stay-at-home Mom.  She was always there when I got home from school.  She made dinner every night.  She made all of my Halloween costumes, and prom dresses.  She taught me how to tie my shoes, how to cook, how to sew, how to grow roses, the closeness of family, and how devoted a wife could be to her husband.   She successfully raised five healthy and happy children, and she loves her grandchildren immensely.  We all respect her, love her, and are grateful.

A letter to my boys:


     Love your Mother - you only get one, and you guys really lucked out.   This Sunday you have the chance to treat your Mom like a queen, bow to my every wish, do all my chores, and then leave me alone to enjoy a day of peace and quiet.  If you know what is good for you, you will be bringing me my Eggs Benedict in bed Sunday morning, along with the Sunday paper, and then shutting my bedroom door on your way out.   What a perfect way to show me you love me!


Love, 


Mommie Dearest


This is one of my favorite recipes from Principessa's recipe file.  She would make these every year for Valentine's Day, and sometimes in the shapes of shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day.  They are the best oatmeal cookie - ever!  I carried on this tradition, and thought they would actually be great for Mother's Day as well.  Show her the love...



Principessa's Iced Oatmeal Cookies




Mix together:
2 1/2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
Add:
3/4 C soft butter
3/4 C sugar
2 T milk
1 egg
1 t vanilla

1 cup oats


Beat for 2 mins, then stir in 1 C oats.  Roll to a 1/4" thickness, cut into heart shapes.  Bake at 375 for 12-15 mins on greased sheet.


Allow to cool completely.
Icing - 1 T melted butter, 2 T milk, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 3-6 drops of red food coloring.

Spread icing on cooled cookies.  Take a big plate to your Mom and tell her you love her.

Happy Mother's Day - eat happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment