Monday, November 15, 2010

Why didn't I think of this??

For those of you that are interested in making the turkey recipe I posted last week, but like me, don't know how in the world you are going to shove a 5 gallon bucket in your side-by-side refrigerator so you can brine your turkey:

Genius!

This product from Grill Friends allows you to brine a turkey, up to 20 pounds, in a much smaller space in your refrigerator.  It is available online and at Bed Bath & Beyond stores for about five bucks.

I've also decided to add a little something special to my Thanksgiving brine this year.  I will be adding in  2 cups of Old Whiskey River Bourbon.


This bourbon, which is commissioned by Willie Nelson, is really smooth with warm carmel under tones.  One of my favorites, and it reminds me of the wonderful Thanksgivings spent at my sister Jean and her husband Matt's home in Nashville.  Cool crisp weather, piles of Fall leaves on the ground, and some of the best food and drinks ever devoured over the course of three days.

I would usually start with one of these:


Thanksgiving Highball


Fill a highball glass with ice - pour a steady 6 count of Old Whiskey River bourbon over the ice - add a splash of ginger ale.  Sip slow but steady.  You'll enjoy your family more.


If you are feeling really festive, you can garnish the rim with a turkey wing.

1 comment:

  1. I frequently brine the cook in beer for up to 4 hours before placing turkey in oven. It makes for a great nap while the bird is cooking.

    ReplyDelete