Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mmmmm...springtime!









When I think springtime culinary ingredients, I think asparagus.  This is the time of year I can go to the farmer's market and find the tender, sweet perennial, which is a welcome change from the normal tough, tree trunks our grocery stores try to sell us during the rest of the year.  I made this dish to celebrate Principessa's (my Mother) 89th birthday.  She loved her party, and the dinner, but mostly enjoyed the presents.  I hope my kids celebrate my 89th with me the same way.  


The Birthday Gal and her grandson Jimmy!




Otherwise, it will just be the Babe and I, sneaking martini's at the old folks home...and that will be just fine.


Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic Topped with Pancetta Chips









Ingredients:
For the pancetta chips:
6 thin slices pancetta


To prepare pancetta chips: Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the slices of pancetta onto the paper. Bake for 3-4 minutes each side or to desired crispness. Remove to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.  Allow to cool, then break into generous bite size pieces.


Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic

Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
Ingredients


   2 pound asparagus
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Trim asparagus. In a small bowl, combine oil, garlic, zest and paprika and stir with a fork. Lay asparagus side by side on the grill and brush with oil mixture. Cook to desired tenderness, turning frequently, and season with salt and pepper.  Do not overcook!

Happy Birthday, Princepessa!  Eat happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment