Sunday, December 12, 2010

...and a chicken in a pear tree

     Yes, we were singing as we ate our supper!  We dined on the most delicious homemade Chicken and Dumplings, a recipe from our dear friends Ken and John.  It is one of those dishes you can't stop eating even though you are beyond full.  Ken and John have a lovely cabin in the mountains of North Carolina, and they've told me how they enjoy this recipe on those wonderfully cool nights.  I'll admit it,  I get jealous each time they brag, I mean tell me about their quiet sabbaticals spent there.  I am sure that if I keep bugging them, just enough, they will actually invite me there.  Either that, or I will just show up.

      I added white mushrooms to the broth, one; because I like them, and two; because any other mushroom would be too overpowering for the delicate broth.  I also added 2 cloves of garlic, one; because I like garlic, and two; because I'm Italian.  I promise you, there will be no leftovers.



Ken's Chicken and Dumplings

2 1/2 lb.s chicken, use your favorite cut, skinless but on the bone for more flavor
32 oz. chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper

Place in large dutch oven, bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to simmer for 30 mins.

4 large carrots, large slice
4 stalks of celery, large slice
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lb. white mushrooms, sliced

Remove cooked chicken, allow to cool so easier to handle.  Meanwhile, add carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms to pot and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.  Debone the chicken and tear into large bite-sized pieces.  Add back to the pot with vegtables, cover and return to a low simmer.


2 cups all purpose flour
4 t baking powder
2 t salt
4 T vegtable oil
1 C milk

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir the oil into the milk, and add to the flour mixture.  Stir, gently, just until mixed together.  Drop by heaping tablespoons on top of the chicken broth mixture.  Cover and cook on a low simmer for 12-15 minutes.  Top with fresh chopped parsley.



My kids think this is so much better than partridge.  Eat happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment