Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Wine of the Year!

One perfect word...Amarone.

     Babe and I received this precious bottle of Della Valpolicella Amarone as a birthday gift from my brother, Dean and his sweet wife, Helen.  We saved it for a special occasion,  but this wine is so good, it could make a Tuesday a special occasion.

     If you have never treated your taste buds to this nectar of the Gods, run to your local wine store and buy it today!  The holidays are the perfect special occasion, as the price is a bit steep, but you deserve a gift to yourself.  I know I do.


     Valpolicella grapes come from the Venitian region in Italy, but it is the unique fermentation process that makes this wine beyond divine.  After the harvest in October, the grapes are laid on straw mats and dried in the sun, although modern Amarone is now dried in special drying chamber for 120 days.  The grapes are then crushed, with the dried skins setting the tone for the perfectly balanced tannins.  The finish, I imagine being similar to drinking velvet.  Please note, I never really drank velvet, but if you could, this is what it would be like.

     Speaking of Christmas gifts to myself, my new Luigi Bormioli Esperienze wine glasses just arrived - perfect for this or any wine!





     Why are you still here reading this?  Run to the wine store!  Drink merry!



No comments:

Post a Comment